Contact  |    Links   |   Site Search  |   Consumers Site



General Frequently Asked Questions

For many in the refrigeration and air-conditioning industry, there simply isn’t enough time to read everything, but the need to stay up to date with industry developments is critical.

Below are just some of the more frequently asked questions concerning the role of the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC) and the Australian Government’s licensing and compliance program and what it means for the individual, business or refrigerant wholesaler.

1) What is the ARC and what does it do?
Click Here

The Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Regulations 1995 (the Regulations) cover licensing requirements for those who work with refrigerants and refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
In June 2005 the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC) was appointed by the Minister for the Environment and Water Resources to administer the refrigeration and air conditioning aspects of the Regulations.
The ARC is responsible for granting refrigerant handling licences and refrigerant trading authorisations approved under the Regulations.

2) What is the difference between a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation and a Refrigerant
Handling Licence?
Click Here

A Refrigerant Trading Authorisation is a business level permit that allows a business to acquire, possess and dispose of refrigerants.
A Refrigerant Handling Licence is a technician level permit that allows the holder (the technician) to do certain types of work on RAC equipment.

3) If I have a licence issued by my state regulator (such as the Office of Fair Trading) to work
why do I need to hold a refrigerant handling licence and/or a refrigerant trading
Click Here

Depending on which state or territory you live in, you may need a state level contractors licence or similar to operate your business. However, state authorities no longer issue licences for refrigerant purchase or handling. To legally undertake either of these activities you must hold the national licence / authorisation, issued by ARC.
You should also become aware of any other state / territory regulations that may impact on your activities.

4) I only work on the repair of auto air conditioning systems, do I need to be assessed to the
full AUR 20799 or AUR 20705?
Click Here

To handle a refrigerant for any work on air conditioning fitted to the cabin of a motor vehicle either AUR20799 Certificate II in Automotive (Mechanical – A/C) or AUR20705 Certificate II in Automotive (Mechanical – A/C) and the unit AURT422645A is required. If evidence of having completed AURT422645A is not supplied the licence will be issued restricting the holder to work other than Overhaul Air Conditioning System Components.

5) Do importers of pre–charged refrigeration and air conditioning equipment require a Refrigerant
Trading Authorisation?
Click Here

NO. Importers of equipment containing fluorocarbon based refrigerants require an import licence issued by The Department of the Environment and Water Resources. Further details can be found at

   Copyright © 2007 Australian Refrigeration Council