Phone : 1300 88 44 83
Customer Service Hours Monday - Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm AEST
Locked Bag 3033, Box Hill, Vic, 3128

Home | Jobs at ARC | Contact | Consumer Site | Links | ARC Complaints handling policy | Sitemap | ARC customer service plan

Refrigerant Trading Authorisation Frequently Asked Questions
For many in the refrigeration and air-conditioning industry, there simply isn’t enough time to read everything, but the need to stay up to date with industry developments is critical.

Below are just some of the more frequently asked questions concerning the role of the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC) and the Australian Government’s licensing and compliance program and what it means for the individual, business or refrigerant wholesaler.

  1. Do importers of pre–charged refrigeration and air conditioning equipment require a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation?

    NO. Importers of equipment containing fluorocarbon based refrigerants require an import licence issued by the Department of the Environment. Further details can be found at

  2. What do I need to acquire, store or dispose of refrigerant gas?

    The Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Management Regulations 1995 provide that persons or businesses that acquire, store or dispose of refrigerants must hold a current Refrigerant Trading Authorisation issued by ARC on behalf of the Australian Government.

    Businesses that acquire refrigerant (other than halon) for use in the manufacture of RAC must hold a current Refrigerant and Air-conditioning Equipment Manufacturing Trading Authorisation (RAEMTA).

    Since the amendments to the regulations, a new class of authorisation has been made available for businesses that have no need to purchase refrigerant. The Restricted Refrigerant Trading Authorisation (RRTA) allows the holder to acquire, possess and dispose of refrigerant provided that the refrigerant is only acquired by being recovered from equipment at the end of its useful life and it is only disposed of by being provided to the operator of a refrigerant destruction facility.

    All three types of Refrigerant Trading Authorisation can be obtained by submitting a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation application via the ARC website,

  3. Is a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation required to sell pre-charged refrigeration or air conditioning units?

    NO. If the refrigerant is contained in equipment, such as a split system air conditioner, a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation is not required. However a refrigerant handling licence is required to install this type of equipment. You should note that restrictions on the sale of this type of equipment may apply in some states and territories. Restrictions can be checked with the relevant state or territory government authorities.

    A Pre-charged Equipment import licence is required if you intend to import refrigeration or air conditioning equipment that contains a HFC or HCFC refrigerant charge. More details can be found on the Department of the Environment Website at:

  4. Can my business be listed in “find an authorised organisation”?

    YES. Complete a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation application form and when approved your listing will appear under your nominated major activity.

  5. Are all refrigerants subject to national controls?

    No. There are national controls on all fluorocarbon refrigerants such as HCFCs, HFCs and CFCs. These refrigerants can damage the ozone layer and are potent greenhouse gases. Other ‘natural refrigerants’ such as ammonia and hydrocarbons are not subject to national controls. However their use may be controlled, for health and safety or consumer protection, by state authorities.

  6. RHL/RTA Overpayments: can I apply for a refund?
    What constitutes an overpayment?

    An overpayment is where an application for Refrigerant Handling Licence (RHL) or a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation (RTA) has been approved and issued, and more than the required application fee was paid.
    The initial application fee applicable for the RHL or RTA type approved does not constitute an overpayment. The initial application fee paid where the application is not approved or the application is withdrawn does not constitute an overpayment.

    How do I apply for a refund if I have overpaid for my licence or authorisation?

    If you have made an overpayment for your RHL or your RTA you can apply to ARC for a refund. Applications for a refund of an overpayment should be made either in writing to: Office manager, ARC Ltd, Locked Bag 3033, Box Hill Victoria 3128 or by email to
    Your application for a refund of an overpayment should include your RHL or RTA number, your name, your address, your contact telephone number, your email address and a brief explanation of why you are applying for a refund of an overpayment. On receipt of your application, you will be contacted. If an overpayment is confirmed you will be asked to provide details of your credit card for the refund to be paid to and a confirmation email will be sent to you when the refund has been made. Although every effort will be made to refund the overpayment quickly, refunds can take up to 7 days to complete.

  7. If my business changes its ABN, do I need a new RTA?

    If you change your Australian Business Number (ABN) and hold a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation (RTA), you will need to apply for a new RTA under your new ABN, and your existing RTA will be cancelled. When an ABN is changed, by law a new business entity is created and this means a new RTA application is required for the new entity. If you change your business name but retain the same ABN, you will not need to lodge a new RTA application, but you must notify ARC of your business name change so we can update your details. Fax (03 9890 3399) or email you new business name to the ARC.

  8. Do the licence fees include GST?

    All licence fees are GST exempt. The Goods and Services Tax does not apply.

© 2015 Australian Refrigeration Council | | Website by Jaydean
Disclaimer: The Australian Refrigeration Council ("ARC") licences persons in accordance with the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Regulations 1995. The ARC does not warrant or guarantee the quality of any work performed or product provided by a person licensed by it. Any warranties required should be obtained directly from the licensed service provider.