Refrigerant Trading Authorisation Frequently Asked Questions

For many in the refrigeration and air-conditioning industry, there simply isn’t enough time to read everything, but the need to stay up to date with industry developments is critical.

Below are just some of the more frequently asked questions concerning the role of the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC) and the Australian Government’s licensing and compliance program and what it means for the individual, business or refrigerant wholesaler.

1) Are all refrigerants subject to national controls??
Click Here

No. There are national controls on all fluorocarbon refrigerants such as HCFCs, HFCs and CFCs. These refrigerants can damage the ozone layer and are potent greenhouse gases. Other ‘natural refrigerants’ such as ammonia and hydrocarbons are not subject to national controls. However their use may be controlled, for health and safety or consumer protection, by state authorities.
2) What do I need to acquire, store or dispose of refrigerant gas?
Click Here

The Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Management Regulations 1995 provide that persons or businesses that acquire, store or dispose of refrigerants must hold a current Refrigerant Trading Authorisation issued by ARC on behalf of the Australian Government. This can be obtained by submitting the Refrigerant Trading Authorisation application form to ARC.
3) Is a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation required to sell pre-charged refrigeration or air conditioning units?
Click Here

NO. If the refrigerant is contained in equipment, such as a split system air conditioner, a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation is not required. However a refrigerant handling licence is required to install this type of equipment. You should note that restrictions on the sale of this type of equipment may apply in some states and territories. Restrictions can be checked with the relevant state or territory government authorities.

A Prechrged Equipment import licence is required if you intend to import refrigeration or air conditioning equipment that contains and HFC or HCFC refrigerant charge. More details can be found on the Department of the Environment and Water Resources Website at :
4) Can my business be listed in “find an authorised organisation”?
Click Here

YES. Complete a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation application form and when approved your listing will appear under your nominated major activity.

   Copyright © 2007 Australian Refrigeration Council