Refrigerant Trading Authorisation

Risk Management Plan for refrigerants

A RMP must identify potential risks which could result in the emission of refrigerant to the atmosphere and outline measures to minimise the possibility of those risks occurring.

Your RMP must reflect risks and measures relevant to what occurs with your refrigerant both on and off the job. This applies whether your business is conducted from a vehicle or building, or whether you are a sole trader or employ 100 technicians.

It is important that RTA applicants understand what is required in an RMP as insufficient RMPs are one of the main reasons RTA application assessments are not approved.

A sample RMP covering the broadest risk assessment is available on the ARC website – click here

Only the risks that are valid for your business should be included in your RMP, and the format and medium of the RMP is at the RTA’s discretion.

Below is a guide to ensuring your RMP has the correct information for your application to be approved – and importantly, ensure all risks are identified and the appropriate measures are put in place to minimise refrigerant emissions.


Activity What are the main activities you would undertake on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis with regards to handling and storing refrigerant?
Potential hazards/risks What are the potential risks of refrigerant escaping associated with the main activities identified in Step 1?
Australian Standard & Code of Practice reference You can view the codes of practice online

The Australian standards for refrigerants can be viewed at
Risk control measures What can you do to reduce the potential risks you identified against each of the main activities in Step 2?
Name of person responsible The RMP must identify the people responsible for ensuring the plan is implemented and confirm the RMP process is being followed.
Review date Identify when the RMP will be reviewed – it must be reviewed (at least annually). It is to ensure activities, control measures and ratings are still valid, including updating those responsible for the RMP and those using it.

Do importers of pre–charged refrigeration and air conditioning equipment require a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation?

NO. Importers of equipment containing fluorocarbon based refrigerants require an import licence issued by the Department of the Environment and Energy. Further details can be found at

What do I need to acquire, store or dispose of refrigerant gas?

The Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Management Regulations 1995 provide that persons or businesses that acquire, store or dispose of refrigerants must hold a current Refrigerant Trading Authorisation issued by ARC on behalf of the Australian Government.

Businesses that acquire refrigerant (other than halon) for use in the manufacture of RAC must hold a current Refrigerant and Air-conditioning Equipment Manufacturing Trading Authorisation (RAEMTA).

Since the amendments to the regulations, a new class of authorisation has been made available for businesses that have no need to purchase refrigerant. The Restricted Refrigerant Trading Authorisation (RRTA) allows the holder to acquire, possess and dispose of refrigerant provided that the refrigerant is only acquired by being recovered from equipment at the end of its useful life and it is only disposed of by being provided to the operator of a refrigerant destruction facility.

All three types of Refrigerant Trading Authorisation can be obtained by submitting a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation application via the ARC website,

Is a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation required to sell pre-charged refrigeration or air conditioning units?

NO. If the refrigerant is contained in equipment, such as a split system air conditioner, a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation is not required. However a refrigerant handling licence is required to install this type of equipment. You should note that restrictions on the sale of this type of equipment may apply in some states and territories. Restrictions can be checked with the relevant state or territory government authorities.

A Pre-charged Equipment import licence is required if you intend to import refrigeration or air conditioning equipment that contains a HFC or HCFC refrigerant charge. More details can be found on the Department of the Environment and Energy Website at:

Can my business be listed in “find an authorised organisation”?

YES. Complete a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation application form and when approved your listing will appear under your nominated major activity.

Are all refrigerants subject to national controls?

No. There are national controls on all fluorocarbon refrigerants such as HCFCs, HFCs and CFCs. These refrigerants can damage the ozone layer and are potent greenhouse gases. Other ‘natural refrigerants’ such as ammonia and hydrocarbons are not subject to national controls. However their use may be controlled, for health and safety or consumer protection, by state authorities.

If my business changes its ABN, do I need a new RTA?

If you change your Australian Business Number (ABN) and hold a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation (RTA), please contact the ARC on 1300 884 483 or email

Do the licence fees include GST?

All licence fees are GST exempt. The Goods and Services Tax does not apply.

How can I cancel my Refrigerant Trading Authorisation?

Current Refrigerant Trading Authorisations can be cancelled at any time.  Simply log on using your user name and password to access your profile, then follow the prompts to cancel your Authorisation.